Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fish Cakes

Friday in our house is fish night.   Actually, it rarely works like that but that is the idea.   I try and make sure that I eat at least one fish meal every week and, in order to keep tabs on it, I set aside Friday....  If I've not eaten fish in the week then I will have it on Friday....

This week was no exception and, as I hadn't eaten a fish meal I got some white fish out of the freezer...not quite deciding what to do with it...

After some debate... i.e. talking to myself!!!  I decided to make fish cakes and soon found a suitable recipe that I could adapt.

Here's what I did....

Fish Cake

INGREDIENTS

300 gms white Fish
400 gms  Potato
A little butter
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 tablespoons capers, drained
2 small gherkins (chopped)
2 hard boiled egg, peeled and chopped small
paprika pepper

For the crumb coating Wholemeal Breadcrumbs
a teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
For the sauce Mayonaise
2 gherkins finely chopped
a little English mustard

 

first I poached the fish in a little salted milk

Then I boiled  the potatoes in the same milk until they were ready to mash and drained them, reserving the milk

Next I mashed them to a creamy consistency using the knob of butter and some of the reserved milk.

After I had prepared the above things, I mixed all the above ingredients in a large mixing bowl  and added a little more of the milk as needed to help bind it all together.  I mixed well and adjusted the seasoning by adding ground black pepper and salt to taste

Once it was all thoroughly mixed together I formed some balls, I made 8, tightly squeezing the mixture together.

Next I coated the balls by rolling them in the beaten egg and then in the breadcrumbs, placing each finished ball on a board lightly covered in more breadcrumbs.

Finally, I flattened the balls into cakes turning over so that they remained well coated.

To make the tartar sauce I simply mixed together the chopped gherkins and the mayonaise, adding the mustard to taste before leaving to stand until I was ready to serve.

I  fried the fish cakes in a dash of olive oil, over a high heat turning every couple of minutes until they were golden brown.

I served with a garnish of fresh salad leaves and tartar sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment