Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Marinated Mushrooms

The other day I had some friends drop by and as the temperature was about 30C (high 80's F) I decided to barbecue some pork and burgers.

I'm afraid I was so busy barbecuing that I didn't get any photos, but I'm sure, as always, the words will whet your appetite.

I far prefer barbecuing on an open fire and preferably wood rather than charcoal.  I can't really explain it but, to me, there is little comparison between the taste of food cooked on wood and the taste of food cooked on charcoal.  The former, I guess, is just so much smokier.

Anyway, on this occasion I accompanied the barbecue with some simple salads.  I was pretty busy and was trying to save work!!!!!

One simple salad I served is marinated mushrooms. 

The recipe is simply slice mushrooms and marinate them for a couple of hours in a vinaigrette  dressing.   Over the years, I have found that a balsamic vinaigrette really complements the woody mushroom taste so that is what I now always use and I use what ever mushrooms I have but really like the big bold "Champignons de Paris" that we get here, (a kind of huge button mushroom).

To make the vinaigrette I use one part water and one part balsamic vinegar.   To this I add some crushed garlic and a selection of herbs (I use herbes de Provence).

Give it a good shake then add 5 parts of olive oil, (I prefer extra virgin).

Give this mixture a really good shake and then let stand for an hour or two before using to allow all the herbs to infuse the liquid.

Slice the mushrooms into a bowl and cover with the vinaigrette and leave to marinate for a couple of hours

there you have it, a simple, delicious accompaniment.

No comments:

Post a Comment