Sunday, May 23, 2010

Spicy Sausage Rolls

.

srolls2

Some friends are coming for aperitifs this evening, so I decided to make a few sausage rolls.   Here in France meat in pastry products are not common.   It is hard to find any of those traditional staples of British fare, such as Steak Pie or indeed the humble Sausage Roll.

I also know from past experience that my French friends love the culinary differences between our two cultures and thoroughly enjoy some of the things I cook that they otherwise would have little knowledge of.  Of course, I'm never sure whether that's because of the difference in our cultures or simply because they can't recognise the food I have tried to prepare.

So, this morning I made Spicy Sausage Rolls


Here's the recipe, and it really is simple

I use shortcrust pastry, but lots of people prefer puff pastry.  Either way, you should end up with a delicious, slightly different, sausage roll

For the Sausage Meat 400gms minced pork
100gms minced beef
2 good tablespoons of rolled oats
a good dash of worcestershire sauce
a couple of drops of tabasco (I put in 4)
a dash of sea salt
a beaten egg
For the Pastry For the pastry I prefer to use a shortcrust pastry,  Here's a recipe I often follow: Jean's Shortcrust Pastry
Method

srolls1
Pre heat the oven to 190°C
Mix together the meat and then stir in the oats and salt. Beat the egg and add the worcestershire sauce and tabasco then stir this into the meat mixture, adjusting consistency by adding more oats if it's too wet
Make the pastry and roll out into a thin sheet.
Roll the meat mixture into a thin sausage and place on the sheet of pastry towards one end. Carefully roll the pastry around the meat and cut once it has enclosed it.
Place this seam side down on a baking sheet and repeat for the next roll.   Continue until you run out of pastry....or of meat!!!!
Brush with a little milk and make several pricks in the pastry to allow steam to escape
Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, or until brown.  Turn over and bake the bottoms for a further 5 minutes
Allow to cool and then cut into bite sized pieces
If you're feeling lazy, you can simply use a pre-made pastry, like I often do.  and you can substitute sausage meat for the minced pork and beef, but if you do this, do pay attention to what you are actually getting in your sausage meat!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Please remind me to cook this soon! Looks great and I have all the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete